Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fedora 16, gnome-shell and rvm

I recently upgraded to Fedora 16.  There's lots to like.  There are some things that are annoying.

I found a couple of new oddities this evening after installing rvm.

First, rvm requires gcc, and gcc has to be installed.  I sort of assumed that gcc would have already been around.  Anyway,

sudo yum install gcc

did the trick. Second, after
  • installing rvm
  • logging out
  • logging back in
  • installing Ruby 1.9.2
  • installing the latest JRuby
  • logging out
  • logging back in

I ran :

rvm use jruby

I got :

RVM is not a function, selecting rubies with 'rvm use ...' will not work.

Huh?

There is of course an entry on the rvm site.  It's some gnome-terminal weirdness.  I was launching the terminal with Alt + F2.

No comments: